forestbathing

forestbather

Said the Spider to the Fly

The late 1930s/early 1940s and late 1950s/early 1960s were heady years for the invention of the superhero, who surely represented unease with the tangled and burgeoning conglomerates that citylife was becoming.

But there was much more in this reaction to the dark forces of modernity: both superman and The Incredible Hulk had a connection with radioactive elements, and all superheros led normal lives and only changed into disguises when needed, with the exception of The Incredible Hulk, who if course transformed when angered, into a green presumably radioactive and muscly version of himself, who somehow did the right thing even when throwing cars about.

Both Batman and Spiderman were bizzare portrayals of dark heros out on the edge of society, living mundane existences that were so straightlaced they almost seemed eerie, an unhealthy image that the appearance of Catwoman did something to mitigate, and Wonderwoman further so.

Yet the two that have endured long in our imaginations remain the Kafkaesque Batman and Spiderman, these dark angels that may represent superheros of our future selves in a vision of a post-apocalyptic world, a one we may be veering towards again.

black widow

how are you able to attract so

when I know my fate

charmed in your spinning web

a fool still smiling to the end

Source: http://chevrefeuillescarpediem.blogspot.com